WIP Files: Julian Files Scrivener-fying

WIP031815

I’ve been sadsauce lately so I’m resurrecting WIP Files. This pic is from me migrating Julian Files to Scrivener to work on it further.

Currently, Julian Files is 72,405 words. I don’t know how long it will end up being in the end, but I’m going to guess at least 100,000, and possibly closer to 150,000. That will depend largely on how much I go into the lives of the Beaulieus and Julian or if I start being much more strict about only following the main plot. The former is more fun so that may be what I end up doing.

RESEARCH: DC Evenfall vol 2 ch 3, photos and video

I utilize Google streetview a lot in the process of writing stories, so I can accurately describe the area and get an idea of what the character would be going through in various scenes. I tried something new, with recording one of the ‘walks’ Boyd would have gone on. The video below was the third attempt at making this; for some reason, trying to record my screen and using Google streetview simultaneously slowed my computer down immensely and made it kind of jolty.

If you like this, let me know and I can try to do more in the future. Hopefully I can refine it where it won’t take so long to focus each time.

Screenshots I took in different places along that walk:

DC evenfall v2ch3 looking up la avenida DC evenfall v2ch3 looking down la avenida from calle sure DC evenfall v2ch3 looking up at steep hill better view DC evenfall v2ch3 looking up at steep hill DC evenfall v2ch3 steep hill

WRITING: Evenfall Revisions: Excerpt

evenfallrevisionssonny

Click the above picture to make it full-size. This comes from a post from Sonny on his tumblr blog in February. Find the original post here.

This is the information Sonny added as a note:

For ICoS readers and interested parties, this is an example of the kind of editing we have been doing to trim the fat and cut down that insane word count. We’ve cut a few scenes and a rare chapter, but rest assured we have not gotten rid of anything that was necessary for the plot or development of the characters.

The above is part of an edit from one of my “quadrants”. We split the first book into 4 parts and are each tackling a chunk. For this quad, the original word count was nearly 170K. And that is only for the last 1/4 of the book! My target wordcount is 75K. So far I’m up to 138K and I haven’t even gotten to Boyd’s trip to the Fourth.

Note: Still hasn’t been checked by Ais or a proofer. It’s all raw edits.